Sunday, November 06, 2011

Aggressives and Gender

I really enjoyed the Aggressives discussion! Before Ms. Jennifer's talk, I had never heard about this type of lesbian women in this category. I thought it was really interesting that even though a woman considered herself extremely masculine and even considered taking hormones, she could still feel gender female and not gender male. This made me think a lot about how drag queens view their gender. After watching the drag queen Shangela perform at USC is burning, I started wondering about if drag is a temporary performance, what gender do these people consider themselves? Do some consider themselves gender female all the time or does it depend on whether they are dressed up or not? It was this picture that I saw on the internet when I was looking into Shangela's background that made me wonder:


After the discussion I also thought a lot about the idea of how African American women can sometimes face "double discrimination" for their race and gender. They also had been blamed for triggering the "negro problem" even though the civil rights act had passed just before this idea came about. These concepts really upset me because I hate that the stereotype of all black women as aggressive could create a fixed identity. But why is being aggressive even seen as a bad thing if it doesn't harm anyone?


1 comment: