Monday, November 21, 2011

Daily Trojan

After reading this article….I have a lot of mixed feelings and so many thoughts!
First off….I feel as though the individual who wrote this article seems to place no priority on individual rights or personal experience. The author seems so insensitive and write with so much ignorance.

One of the lines that really caught my attention was:
“So instead of making laws about very narrow, personal issues like whether we identify as male or female, maybe our representatives can actually fix our broken budget, or realize that there are worse forms of injustice than discrimination against whom people choose to be.”

I don't know if it's just because of the way that this class has opened my eyes to the world of gender.... but I find it crazy that someone could choose to ignore the intense interaction between gender and every other aspect of life. Although I think that some of what the author says are good points (that there are a lot of things in American that need legal and government attention) I feel as though the article completely targets the LGBTQ community. It is kind of odd to think that such discrimination happens even at USC...I always had thought of our campus through its pride in social and ethnic diversity...but it seems as though even here we will never be able to escape the stereotypes perpetuated by a judgmental society. Not only do I feel like this article makes our school look really really bad, but I also feel as though it is an innacurate representation of our school's mentality. Gender Identification is woven into just about every aspect of life, and in my opinion is necessary as it is a way for humans to organize themselves and make sense of the chaos that is our world. To think that something such as gender and self identification is unimportant is such an ignorant way to view the world...because until we begin to understand ourselves, we are never going to be able to help or understand anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment