Monday, November 21, 2011

Article Response

This piece seemed like it was written by a rookie as opposed to a more experienced journalist. The arguments are highly underdeveloped or even supported, like her argument is that there are "larger problems" to worry about. When are there not major concerns for lawmakers to consider? Also, when is the ideal time to address and protect transgender rights?

One thing that really caught my attention was the how the author assumed that the college students lived in a bubble while it seemed like she lives in a bubble also. In all fairness, I probably live in a bubble also and am completely ignorant of transgender people and their issues. For example, I have no idea how many exist and don't think I have ever met one, though I probably have and don't know it. However, while I am aware of my ignorance, the author seems to think that she is knowledgeable about the subject when she is clearly not, or at least doesn't demonstrate any knowledge. Even more disturbing is that she doesn't display any compassion.

2 comments:

  1. It's true that although she may have a strong opinion about the issue, albeit problematic/uninitiated, perhaps one shouldn't write an opinion piece for the newspaper without doing the proper research. And as for living in a bubble, careful, those tend to burst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! The author seems to be suggesting that we live in a bubble...yet feels justified to assert her opinions as though she lives outside the bubble.
    I also agree that her lack of compassion for this group of people makes me for one not take her or her argument very seriously.

    ReplyDelete