Monday, November 21, 2011

Response to Daily Trojan Article/ Music Video

Growing up in what Salama classifies as a city where being transsexual really isn’t a big deal and is mostly accepted by neighboring communities and by the people who live there (San Francisco). I must say that I believe that it is due to the lack of pressure for people to “accept” different opinions. While these transgender communities are very present in San Francisco never have I been approached or seen any sort of movements made by them to encourage others to open their minds and accept them. Perhaps I may be wrong, but for in my case it is the lack of attention towards these communities (positive or negative) that has lead me to accept people’s different views on sexuality and gender.
I do agree that anti discrimination laws are a means of helping society as a whole gradually become aware and accepting of these different classifications. I do not agree with Salama’s statement “people who choose to identify themselves in a different way need to be aware of the effects of such decisions.” This statement was very bold and naive and I was shocked that she would think (although only implied) that transgendered people should consider the “side effects” how others will treat them because of who they are.
On a side note and combining my love for music and relating it to gender conflict topics, I recently stumbled upon an old song and remembered seeing the music video. This video, made by a Swedish duo who make very bold statements through music and how they represent themselves in the industry, make a statement about acceptance of different sexual and gender classifications. Hopefully you’ll enjoy the song/video!

The Knife --- Pass this On
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKhjaGRhIYU

No comments:

Post a Comment