Sunday, November 20, 2011

Response to Article

As soon as I began reading Salama's article, I was frowning, most probably because I was surprised that someone could be so ignorant of such an important thing in society: gender. I will admit that I probably would not have been as affected by this article if I had read it before I started taking this class, but after being in gender conflicts and becoming more aware of others and the importance of accepting everyone's decisions, I felt like this article was downright snotty and rude. Reading the part where Salama states that "there are larger problems to worry about" in society than helping transgenders become more comfortable revealing themselves to the world especially made me surprised that this girl, who was supposedly thinks "we all deserve our rights" wasn't applauding these acts instead of commenting on how unnecessary they are. I do realize that Salama is completely entitled to her opinion, but I believe that she could have been more considerate in her article.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you. If I had not been in this class or SWMS355:Transgesder, I would have over-looked the issues she is addressing. But since, I have become much more educated in the importance of gender-related acceptance, I cannot ignore her argument. She is entitled to her opinion, but perhaps she should have made her research before stating that this is a "narrow issue" when there are hate crimes occurring all over the world based on gender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right. People often seem unable to "read" the world symbolically: Although this legislation may address transgenders specifically, the symbolic message that it reinforces is much broader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also feel like this class has given me a new perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree!
    One of the things that I have found really interesting is how the things that we learn in this class apply to our lives everyday all the time! When I'm with my friends and something happens that relates to gender studies I catch myself going on and on about it until I remember that they haven't been given the same exposure I have. It's then that I think about all of the amazing possibilities that our world could be if, instead of living in denial and ignorance, our world decided to care about each other and be educated in what is happening around us everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great to hear @ashlee, can you imagine how many fields we are ignorant of? I hope you can spread your knowledge with those who haven't had the opportunity to learn what you have.

    ReplyDelete