Tuesday, October 11, 2011

PsychoanAAAHHHHH!!!!-lysis.

Beside the painful fact that every time Barsani said "psychoanalysis" I wanted to throw something angrily, I found myself increasingly interested in a certain quote from page 5. "In short, we are in a time of relational crisis, of a dangerous but also potentially beneficial confusion about modes of connectedness, about the ways in which who or what or how we are depend on how we connect." For some reason, this made me think about social networking sites. Barsani obviously wasn't talking about online social networking but one can see how it makes sense. Too often do people search for relational validation online. The "facebook generation" is especially "in a time of relational crisis."
What does facebook and marriage have in common? Perhaps facebook embodies that innate desire of humans to have sex with more than one partner. People log off facebook and really only have like three good friends and maybe a girlfriend or boyfriend, whatever. But online, we have hundreds, perhaps thousands of potential relationships. Diego said that every desire is a sexual one. Perhaps poking really is the new poking. I realize I'm being silly and kind of stretching this allegory to the point of absurdity but I just wanted to try and explain what type of ideas went through my brain as I read this quote. And, to conclude this post in the words of the great man Leo Barsani, I leave you with this piece of knowledge, "Psychoanalysis, Psychoanalysis, Freud, identity, Psychoanalysis, Psychoanalysis, something, something....Psychoanalysis."

1 comment: