Monday, October 03, 2011

Fragments

I never got Diego's email to read Kaja Silverman's essay "Fragments of a Fashionable Discourse" so I decided to read it vicariously through you guys by reading your thoughts and forming my own opinions on them. (No, I can't find it online. Maybe because I'm a noob, I don't know.)
I also think it's interesting how her definition of men is "the one who looks at women," especially after our class today where we saw the Bridget Bardot movie scene in which she must gain approval from her significant other to be self-satisfied.
However, it also brings up the idea that to be a man, you must look at women. It looks to be that gay men are not men by this definition.

I've also realized that the article seems to discuss how before, men and women's fashions weren't always so different (voluminous clothing and wigs?). I'm actually not completely shocked by this fact because I've seen enough pictures of historical figures. I swear, one time I saw a picture of King Louis XVI of France and I thought he was wearing a dress. He may have been, to be honest. I'm quite interested as to see where in the history of time, the lines between what are man's clothes and what are women's clothes began to become much more defined.

I've had a love-hate relationship with women's fashion since the day I decided to pick out what I wanted to wear.
In one sense, I love that women have many different choices on what to wear (more fabrics, colors, cuts, etc) but in the same regard, especially when concerning some formal event, I hate it.
To have many different choices in the closet to express yourself (as Manan has said, clothes are the covers to our individual books) can be a serious pain.
The Best-Dressed list in tabloid magazines are always criticizing women, because, let's face it, it's nearly impossible to mess up a suit. For women, the choice of clothes can directly reveal their personalities, whereas for guys, since the choice is so limited, it's much harder to judge.
I think out of all the ways one can judge someone from a first-look impression, clothes is fairest. For the most part, everything else about someone's appearance may not be controllable, but clothes certainly is.

1 comment:

  1. I like the initiative to read the essay through your peers' responses! I hope you have received the essay in PDF from me by now? I'd just ask you to reconsider your statement "For the most part, everything else about someone's appearance may not be controllable, but clothes certainly is." What about economic condition? Class, education and how that may affect taste/economic power to purchase the clothing and to make sartorial decisions?

    ReplyDelete