Sunday, September 25, 2011

Huh??

Pepi, Luci, and Bom was like nothing I have ever seen before and I have to admit I was very shocked and taken aback after viewing it. First of all, having English subtitles for a movie in Spanish made it very interesting in terms of the way all of the sexual words translated. Reading something along the lines of "My pussy is sweet," versus hearing an actor say this is a very interesting experience. Because we were all reading the words, there was a bit of a delay before the reactions came to lines like that, however, when something physically happened that disgusted or surprised us as a class, the reaction was immediate. For example, when Luci was turned on when Bom peed on her, the entire discussion section responded with an abrupt "oh my god" and "what the hell is going on?"

The comments from our class also made the viewing of this film interesting. If we had all been in the movie theater, our behavior would have been much more controlled and civilized, but because this was a classroom setting, full of mainly people in their late teens and early twenties, we found it acceptable to react the way we did. After something shocking would happen, like the commercials for "Puton Underwear," I could definitely hear the class commenting and whispering to each other. I really felt like we were just trying to figure out what the heck was going on in this film. I mean, I personally still don't even know if the "bearded lady" character is really a man or a woman. If anything, this movie was definitely a conversation starter, and I found myself discussing it with my classmates even after class just to try and deduce what was happening. It seemed to show all sorts of gender issues from rape to homosexuality to transvestites and more, this film certainly displayed many engaging topics for us as a class to explore and discuss.

1 comment:

  1. This describes very well how I reacted to the film. I was trying to figure what exactly was going on in the film and what it was trying to say. And also, the fact that the film was in Spanish and the only way I would be able to understand what the actors were saying would be to read the subtitles, prevented me from taking my eyes off the screen even when scenes came up that made me feel uncomfortable in order to know what was happening. Right from the beginning, the film was a shock to me and even left an impression on me while I was walking out of class, wondering what I had just watched.

    ReplyDelete