Sunday, September 11, 2011

Jocks in Frocks - Awks.

When I clicked on the link, I had no idea what I was getting into. The show is now over, and I am still mind-blown at what was going on in front of me. However, as the show went on, I began to find everything very funny and started laughing a lot and creeping out my roommate.

The techniques of Camp style that are described in Susan Sontag's "Notes on 'Camp'" were clearly implemented in the RuPaul's Drag Race episode, creating humor through the flamboyant, theatrical, ironic, and exaggerated behavior of the drag queens as well as the others on the show. Susan Sontag's thesis 10: "Camp sees everything in quotation marks. It's not a lamp, but a "lamp"; not a woman, but a "woman." To perceive Camp in objects and persons is to understand Being-as-Playing-a-Role. It is the farthest extension, in sensibility, of the metaphor of life as theater," is apparent throughout the show and leads to the most humor. The drag queen contestants are being-as-playing-a-role. RuPaul refers to them sometimes as men and sometimes as women. Nothing is constant, which leads to humor at the incongruousness (ie the jocks and drag queens juxtaposed) of everything in the show. Flamboyance is clearly a big part of the show, as can be seen in the drag queens' cat walks and cheer-leading about safe sex through promiscuous means. One starts to watch and enjoy the show through the drag queens' perspective, which is extremely animated and excited. I enjoyed looking at the jocks through their perspective and laughing at their clear lack of skill at playing the role of a sister. My favorite line of the show was: "Are you straight?" "Yes." "Ah, well nobody is perfect."

The camp style was very well implemented in the show to add humor. The more ostentatious it became, the more appeal the show had. I have seen another movie in my English class, "Cabaret," which has musical numbers that also follow camp style as described by Susan Sontag:
This is a cabaret performance (all actors are males that have cross-dressed) from the movie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPOiaAU_vJg&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment