Monday, September 26, 2011

Pepi, Luci, Bom



Overall, I found the film, "Pepi, Luci, Bom," fascinating, not because of all of the gratuitous sexuality, but because of its abnormal, erratic plot structure. I felt like the film kept me on my toes the whole time, inspiring a handful of genuine emotions in me, from awe, to disgust, to amusement....

I was amazed how the character of Pepi handled her own rape... while she was eager to get revenge on her attacker/assailant, I was not sure if Pepi ever experienced the psychological torment that usually accompanies an episode as traumatic as rape. I imagined she would have acted a lot more hurt and a lot less, forgive me, "peppy" than she did.

I enjoyed seeing many of the women employing their personal agency, but I did not understand quite how what they were doing was going to stop their oppressors from oppressing future generations of women. I was glad that the characters like Pepi and Luci escaped the mould of patriarchal society but I did not see (within the part of the film we viewed in class) any serious examples of Pepi or Luci opposing the society's values for all of society to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment